Saturday, May 30, 2009

RUMINATIN' ROD'S RECOMMENDED READING

Hello fellow Cud Buds...aka chewers of the Cud...aka Ruminators. Read any good books lately?

1963 and 1964 were turning points in my life. In 1963 I was in the 6th grade...for the FIRST time. That's right...for the FIRST TIME. In 1963 I failed the 6th grade. I don't understand why I failed...it could have been the 13 D's and the 4 F's that had to do something with it. I did have a hard 4th and 5th grade family life...that was distracting. I remember getting my report card...and it sunk in that I was not advancing to the 7th grade with all of my friends who I have been advancing with since the 1st grade. I remember walking across a field...next to the large water tower on my way home...crying. People would come up to me who were advancing and trying to consol me. They didn't. I was devestated. On July 3rd and 4th 2009...Central High School is having a combined reunion of 1968, 1969, and 1970. I will be seeing some of my old friends from the 6th grade... the first time that is.

My 6th grade teacher was Mrs. Martha Adkerson. She was also my 6th grade teacher...the second time around. My second tour of duty in the 6th grade...I scored with ALL A's. WHY? It could be I was more mature...it could be I had already been over the material the previous year...or it could be some sage advice from Mrs. A...who became my favorite teacher of all time. Her advice..."Rodney, you can go anywhere in the world...by opening a book and letting your imagination take you there." It was then that I fell in love with reading. I wish I could say that my academic career took off from that point... BUT...over the next few years...I trudged along...bored with school...and excited by clowining around. In high school...I would fail this...and fail that...go to summer school and pass. I would even have to sneak into a couple of teacher's grade books and change a couple of my grades from F's to B's.

My college career was not much better. I became a Bible school drop-out...went to Middle Tennessee State University...and dropped out of there with a 1.6 grade point average. I even tried to apply to Oral Roberts University...and wrote a letter to them explaining that I understood that my grade point average was not up to their standards...but...in the words of their catch phrase...I was EXPECTING A MIRACLE. I never heard from them. After multiple jobs...I ended up in school for Speech Pathology... got my Masters of Education...and have been working ever since. I graduated with LAWDY HAVE MERCY. It's kind of ironic that I am now on the scholarship committee at Smyrna Assembly...interviewing potential candidates and giving our sage advice about academic excellence.

Over the years that have been various books that have caught my interest and means a lot to me.... SO we come to RUMINATIN' ROD'S RECOMMENDED READING. Here are just a few books...in no particular order...except the first one.

1. The Bible: In reality...66 books...or love letters from my heavenly Father. File this book under history...or HISstory...as the heartbeat of God for mankind is revealed.

2. The Secret of Crossbone Hills: One of the first books I bought with my own money at a book fair. I read this one over and over and over again about the adventures of Dave and Kathy in South Carolina as they fought pirates and sunburn.

3. The Wizard of Oz: Pre-Harry Potter. The book is more indepth than the movie...but I enjoy the movie. You could tell it was Easter every year when CBS would show the movie. My mom was amazed that she could turn to a page and start reading a section of the book...and I could recite it word for word. My Dad on the other hand...would get his drinking buddies and have me recite the T.V. schedule from the newpaper for them...stations, shows, and times.

4. The Cross and the Switchblade: David Wilkerson's story of going to New York in the 1950's and how God used him to deal with gangs and drugs. I found this book at Tennessee Temple Bible School in the bookstore. It was the first time I saw how this thing called THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT was used in changing the lives of drug addicts. A co-book is RUN BABY RUN...about one of David's first converts Nicky Cruz.

5. A New Song: Pat Boone. I found this book in a Church of Christ book store bargin bin for fifty cents. It is the story of Pat Boone searching for more in his walk with the Lord. Again...the baptism in the Holy Spirit was key to his journey.

6. The Saint: A series of books from the 1930's and 1940's by Leslie Charteris. It is not a spiritual book despite the character. It is about a rouge named Simon Templer...who was a modern day Robin Hood with a twinge of James Bond. Played on T.V. by Roger Moore.

7. The Spirit-Filled Believer's Handbook: Derek Prince. This is the teachiings of the foundations of Christianity. Repentance from dead works...Faith towards God...the Doctrine of Baptisms (plural)... the laying on of hands...Resurrection of the dead...Eternal Judgement. These teaching are systematic, Biblical...and wonderful.

8. DAWS: This is the story of the founder of the Navigators. Combine this with the Topical Memory System...and you have a life changing book. Dawson Trotman was a man of vision and insight...and had a hunger for the Word.

9. Shout It From The Housetops: Pat Robertson's story of a man who had everything...and gave it all away...moved to the slums of New York...and God speaking to him about a world wide vision for getting the gospel out via T.V. Profund effect on my life.

10. The Secret Kingdom: Pat Robertson with the various laws of the kingdom like the Law of Reciprocity, the Law of Use, etc. Very practical walking out of the Kingdom.

11. The King and You: Bob Mumford teaching the principle of the Kingdom....it's constitution, preamble, and laws of the Kingdom.

12. Scott Free: Scott Ross' story of a man's journey...from humble beginnings...to heady power in the world of rock and roll and back to humble beginnings. This is one of the first places that I heard about a guitar player named Phil Keaggy. 50+ albums later...well...

13. Renewal Theology Volumes 1,2,3: J. Rodman Williams: In depth theological look at the charismatic movement. Good Stuff.

14. Prayer Is Invading The Impossible: Jack Hayford (really any book by Papa Hayford). He is deep but simple...and practical. He makes me feel as if I can walk out what he is teaching. This book is about tapping into a dynamic prayer life...that will invade impossible situations.

15. The Battlefield of the Mind: Joyce Myers...WOW...renewing the mind by the washing of the water of the Word to deal with the attacks of the enemy in the heart and the mind. Combine this book with another book called ME AND MY BIG MOUTH...and you have the double anointing.

16. Evidence That Demands A Verdict: Josh McDowell. From how the Bible came to be...to the resurrection of Jesus....doubters must make a decision based on truth rather than emotions or feelings.

17. Know What You Beleive/Know Why You Believe: Paul Little. Another book of apologetics. Always have a defense for what you believe.

18. THE AMPLIFIED BIBLE: Plug it it...turn it on...crank it up to 10 on the potentiometer...and listen loudly to the Word of God.

19. Charisma's Bible Handbook on the Holy Spirit: Jon Rhea's study on the Holy Spirit from Genesis to Revealation.

20. The Memory Book by Jerry Lucas and Harry Lorayne: I can't remember why I like this book. Maybe it will come to me later.

21. MAD MAGAZINE: I know...not a book...but they have collections of materials of Mad Magazines in book forms. They have MAD ABOUT THE ________________________ (50'S. 60'S, 70'S, 80'S, 90'S). These are satirical looks at human beings and the things we deem important. Nobody is immune...liberals, conservatives, religious, atheists, etc.

Well...that's it...an imcomplete list of important books in my life. I'm curious...what books have impacted your life.

Love and Book Report Kisses
Rodney "I Love Mrs. Adkerson" Boyd

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home