Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TAKE ME BACK...TAKE ME BACK DEAR LORD

Howdy-do all of you pilgrims...how's the journey down the Mystery Highway (shameless plug for Phil Keaggy and Randy Stonehill's new release).

Sometimes we are so intense on our journey...for our search for the "deep things of God"...that we miss the fact...that like her journey to Oz...what she was looking for...would lead her BACK to where she began...HOME. A click of the heels of her ruby red slippers...that she had with her the entire journey through OZ...and on her lips the phrase..."there's no place like home...there's no place like home." She opens her eyes...and she is surrounded by her friends and family...what she was searching for all along. She was blinded to the fact by circumstances, situations, the mundane rut that she had been digging...when it was right before her very eyes...all the time.

Sometimes I wish I had a pair of ruby red slippers (to go with my alabaster complexion)...but no matter how many times I close my eyes...and click my heels...I open my eyes...and I am still stuck in OZ.

When I started out my journey of faith back in the fall of 1970...I had no idea how great the adventure would be...and I had no idea how complacent I could become with all of my pleasures, my life, my blessings, my trappings. Sometimes...I feel trapped in my life...and the joy that I once knew...the simplicity of my faith...the childlike anticipation of the next day...the pleasure of loving God seems to have been buried underneath this thing we call "the good life." I go to other countries...where they do not have an iota of what I've got...but they appear to have what I don't...a joy and faith in their God.

Back in the 70's...Andrea Crouch and the Disciples released their 6th album called TAKE ME BACK. The whole album was inspiring to me...especially the title track...TAKE ME BACK. I am listening to this song...as I write...and it takes me back...in my mind...to what I desire in 2009.

TAKE ME BACK (Andrae Crouch)
Take me back
Take me back dear Lord
To the place where I first received you
Take me back
Take me back
To the place where I first believed
I feel so far from you Lord...but I still hear you calling me
Those simple things that I once knew...the memories are drawing me
I must confess Lord...I've been blessed...but yet my soul is not satisfied
Renew my faith...Restore my joy
And dry my weeping eyes
I tried so hard to make it all alone
I need your help
Just TO MAKE IT HOME


This picture...with Bruce Fortner (lead singer in the band THE BLIND DISTORTION)...Debbie Pearson (Brenda's best friend during those days)...Brenda (the love of my life 39 years later) and a very dapper and stylish me...was one of our very first dates (a bonfire for the homecoming and brief meeting as Sir Pizza with a large hamburger/mushroom pizza...maybe two pieces eaten)...says it all...HOMECOMING.

The saying goes..."you can't go home." That is true...if you try to live in the past...you will never walk in the now...and will never experience you full future. The children of Israel tried to eat old manna...that turned bad. There are many aspects of my journey...my life...my experiences that I would not change...but that's not what I am talking about when I desire for the Lord to TAKE ME BACK.

What I am talking about...is getting back to the BASICS. Getting back to...as the Beatles sang...to where you once belonged. In the words of Wayne (the clown)...to a group of religious people who were trying to dominate and dictate his life by rules, regulations, etc..."You guys are making it too hard."

Complicated relationships...ecclesiastical gymnastics... a never ending subversive power struggle over who is right and who is wrong...growing pressures to perform and live up to expectations that can never be met (spiritually, physically, emotionally)...new and deep revelations...until the newer and deeper revelation is discovered....my church is better than your church (nana nana boo boo)...ball of confusion...and the band played on.

The ideal would be...to isolate, separate, segregate, abdicate...and become an island unto yourself...start a church where you are the only member...or at least only surround yourself with people that you like...or at the very least are CLONES...of you and speak your form of Christenese (I WANNA BE A CLONE...Steve Taylor style). Secluded monasteries...comfort of your home...cathedrals with the comfort of the rituals...charismatic, free wheeling rip roaring houses of worship...(fill in the blank). But this is not what I'm talking about. You have to live life among PEOPLE. Sometimes I feel like Barry McGuire did as he searched for truth in all of the religions...and came face to face with Jesus. His only problem was that he "dug this Jesus cat...but he could not stand His followers." As Pogo said..."we have met the enemy... and the enemy is us." Groucho Marx once stated...that...he "would not belong to a club that had him as a member."

Well...what's a guy gotta do...to GET BACK. The answer is found in the Book of Revelation.

The church of Ephesus..."I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot endure evil men, and you put to test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not and you found them to be false, and you have perseverance and have endured for my name's sake, and have not grown weary." (Revelations 2:2-3) SO FAR...SO GOOD.

"But I have this against you...that you have LEFT YOUR FIRST LOVE." (Revelation 3:4)

WOW...you can be doing all the right stuff...working hard...and even be doing it...for MY NAMES SAKE...but still...be missing the mark. The key is in the next verse...

"Remember, therefore from where you have fallen, and repent, and do the deeds you die AT FIRST..." (Revelations 2:5) NOTE: The cause and effect would be removal of their lamp stand unless they repent.

1. Remember: Conjure up the images of where you use to be.
2. Repent: Change of heart, mind, direction. Do a 180 back to "where you once believed."
3. Do the deeds you did at first: Get back to the basics

This of course can apply to our interpersonal relationships...back in our "dating days"...but especially our spiritual early days. Sure...we are called to progress...to mature...BUT...that does not mean that we have GROWN SO MATURE...that you can't go back to the BASICS.

1. Read the Word of God
2. Act as if what you just said was true NOTE: I see people all of the time who thing they have matured beyond the Bible. They called
it an antiquated book for ignorant, superstitious people who have no intellectual credence or open mind to reality. Why is it that those
consider themselves so open minded and intellectual...love to put down anyone with a different opinion (Christian and non-Christian)?
3. Spend time with the one you love...in prayer (not just asking) but intimate conversation.
4. Praise Him. Have some rejoice time.
5. Worship Him. Have some time face forward in front of Him
6. Obey Him. As you hear His voice...rise up...and do what He said.
7. Thank Him. Thanksgiving before you see anything you have asked for. Thanking Him just to be thanking Him
8. Develop a MIND SET ON HIM...with the cause and effect...PERFECT PEACE
9. Allow your mind to be dwelling on the true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, good report, excellence.
10. Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength...and love your neighbor as yourself.
11. Fellowship...get together with other believers...and have a little KOINONIA TIME...around the Son.
12. Share your faith...don't hold it it and let it stagnate...don't just soak in the Word of God...release it and don't experience the SPIRITUAL
SPONGE BLUES (for those who were there back in the day)

FINAL THOUGHTS...FINALLY

At the same time that you get back...to where you first believed...where you first received...PRESS ON TOWARD THE HIGH MARK OF THE CALLING OF GOD.

Love and First Love Kisses
Rodney "Take Me Back Lord" Boyd
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Debbie Pearson said...

So nice.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Debbie pearson said...

Hope bruce gets to see this. Maybe I will have an opportunity to show him.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home