Monday, May 12, 2014

DRINK...DRANK...GET DRUNK

Greetings and Salutations O Ye Drunkards, Present Drunkards...Former Drunkards...Future Drunkards...


Have ya been DRUNK lately?


DRUNK: methusko (meth-oos-ko)=to intoxicate-be drunk- to drink to intoxication, that is get drunk-drink well, make drunk-drunken.


I have had the honor of meeting and having my picture take with and received an autographed 8 x 10 glossy photo...of Hal Smith.  For those who are not fans of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW...Hal Smith played Otis Campbell the town DRUNK.  Of course his character is played for laughs but in reality...a DRUNK is not funny...but in reality tragic.


Usually...the person who likes to drink alcoholic beverages (aka adult beverages)...in defense of their drinking they usually say..."the key is drinking in moderation.".  I do believe that...moderation in everything is prudent.  Be moderate in pot smoking...a little moderation eating at a buffet...moderation in intake of meth...moderation in cocaine and heroin....moderation is sexual immorality...moderation is the key to everything.


NOTE:  I do not believe that the Bible teaches being a teetotaler.  But the Bible does teach to not get DRUNK.


I personally...like to get DRUNK.  SAY WHAT!!!!  Hey...if sin was not pleasurable for the moment...nobody would sin.  That's the nature of socialization in an adult world (that children like to emulate).  Have ya ever noticed...that children...can't wait to be a teenager...so they can do teenager thinks...and then teenagers can't wait to turn 18...thinking they are adults...and they can start doing adult things.  Adult things is what they see on the movies...what their favorite recording artists do...what their friends are doing.  After all...the T.V. show FRIENDS shows how young adults live when they are off on their on.  Even Christian youth...when they get out from under the thumb of their church and parents...want to do adult things. NOTE:  Not all people Christian or non-Christian do these things.


For the "sophisticated...mature" Christians...we like to feel like we have FREEDOM to do things that other "less sophisticated...less mature" Christians can't control. NOTE:  Gary S. Paxton wrote a song many years ago called SOPHISTICATED SAVAGES.   Again, the idea of socialization with other like people lends to "social drinking".  Back in 1970...when I first became a follower of Jesus...I preached my first message that lasted maybe then minutes before I ran out of stuff to say.  I was young, a fresh Christian...and had no idea of what I was talking about.  The one line that I remember...was..."You will start out as a SOCIAL DRINKER...and end up a SOCIAL DRUNK."
My next message was entitled...DON'T BOIL THE BABY...but that is another story for another time.


Again...we have been set FREE...but we are encouraged to STAY FREE.


"It was for FREEDOM that Christ set us FREE...therefore...KEEP STANDING FIRM and do NOT BE SUBJECT AGAIN...to the YOKE OF SLAVERY." (Galatians 5:1)


"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are PROFITABLE.  All things are lawful for me, but I WILL NOT BE MASTERED BY ANYTHING."  (I Corinthians 6:12)


"Even so...consider yourselves to be DEAD TO SIN...but ALIVE TO GOD in Christ Jesus.  Therefore DO NOT LET/ALLOW SIN to reign (rule) in your mortal body, that you should OBEY ITS lusts." (Romans 6:11-12)


"For SIN shall NOT BE MASTER OVER YOU...for you are not under law...but grace." (Romans 6:14)


The YOKE that is being talked about...and the MASTER that is being talked about, and the SLAVE MASTER is SIN.


In connection with SIN...the FLESH...and the DEEDS OF THE FLESH...here are just a few of the things that Paul is warning CHRISTIANS...not non-Christians to beware of in Galatians 5:19-21:


  • Immorality
  • Impurity
  • Sensuality
  • Idolatry
  • Sorcery (enchantment with drugs)
  • Enmities
  • Strife
  • Jealousy
  • Outbursts of anger
  • Disputes
  • Dissensions
  • Factions
  • Envyings
  • Drunkenness
  • Carousings
  • And things like these.
I have found through personal experience...that when you let your GUARD DOWN...by doing certain things that I may have the freedom to do...before I know it...I am IN THE YOKE OF SLAVERY AGAIN.  SIN HAS ENTRAPPED ME AGAIN.  You can even get trapped again... when you are trying to do the right things.  I remember once witnessing to a guy at where I use to work...and one day...he invited me over to his house to teach him how to play the guitar.  I figured...it was another opportunity to share my faith.  He offered me a beer...and I reasoned...to be a witness, I did not need to appear a spiritual snob...so I had a beer....in the name of witnessing to him.  One beer led to another...and a six pack was down...and so was I...and so was my witness. This led to my "backsliding"...except...I did not slide on my back...but slid face forward into the muck and the mire of sin.  As a matter of fact...this guy threw me a bachelor party...where just me an him...went bar hopping from Murfreesboro to Nashville...drinking and getting DRUNK.  At one point...I hopped in his car...and drove around in circles while he chased after me to get control of the car.  In one bar...we went in...and man, it was a rough crowd.  I remember going over to a lady with jet black hair, ruby red lips, heavy eyeliner, smoking a cigarette and sitting at a table with her redneck boyfriend.  I asked him..."May I kiss your girlfriend?" He gave me to O.K. and I planted my firm but pliant lips on her ruby red lips.  My friend took me by the arm and led me back outside.  Why am I telling you this?  Because...all of this was done...just before I got married to Brenda...and after I was saved, baptized, been away to Bible School, baptized in the Holy Ghost.  WHAT HAPPENED?  I let my guard down...slowly at first but the sin breached the wall and flooded into my life.  The little foxes...that I allowed in...SPOILED MY VINEYARD. (Song of Solomon 2:15)


Some would say..."well yeah...you don't need to be drinking...but I can handle it...and I have the freedom to do it."  Yes you do...BUT...be careful.  Again, I am not against drinking...just against drunkenness...and not even against drunkenness...but against the affect that it will have on your life.


THE APPROVED DRUNKENNESS FOR CHRISTIANS


"Do not get DRUNK with wine...for that is DEBAUCHERY (excess)...but ever be FILLED (controlled) and STIMULATED with the (HOLY) SPIRIT. (Ephesians 5:18 The Amplified Bible)

Oh...I know, I know...Jesus turned the water into wine.  I know that the wine was potent...in Corinth...otherwise...how could they have got DRUNK on grape juice.  But to be filled, controlled, stimulated...and not stumbling, out of control, letting your guard down is so much better for you.  No hangover...no regrets of doing stupid stuff you don't remember doing...no little surprises like a little bundle of joy because you let your guard down and allowed some Neanderthal lie to you about love or believing some cute little thing lying to you about what a hunk you are...and both lying to you about PROVING YOUR LOVE with sex...in a drunken stupor.  NOTE: These things can happen when you are not in a drunken stupor...because lust is lust and sin is sin drunk or sober.


FINAL THOUGHTS...FINALLY


In the words of  the beer commercial that focuses on the imaginary most interesting man in the world...I don't write a Ruminator Rambling like this often...but when I do...I do it in love.  Be DRUNK in the Holy Ghost my friends.


Love and Non-Intoxicated Kisses
Rodney "Under the Influence of the Holy Ghost" Boyd




















































1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Quartz crystals are the most common mechanism for the majority of replica watches uk. Quartz provides an economical source of power for fashion, functional, dress, digital and analogue replica watches sale whether they are cheap children's toys or designer labelled. A benefit of quartz replica watches is their precision as time-pieces and their resistance to damage. Complications are features added to rolex replica above the presentation of the time. Complicated rolex replica sale are generally quartz and can have such extra features as water resistance as well as a stopwatch and various additional time and date functions including displaying the fake rolex sale. The durability of quartz mechanisms are part of the reason additional complications can be added to these kinds of multifunction watches.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home