Friday, August 04, 2006

HAND TO THE PLOW

Greetings fellow plowers...

"And He said to another...Follow Me. But he said Permit me first to go and bury my father. But He said to him... let the dead bury the dead, but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God. And another also said...I will follow You, Lord, but first permit me to say goodby to those at home. But Jesus said to him...No one, after PUTTING HIS HAND TO THE PLOW and looking back is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:16)

Paul Clark...one of my favorite artists...has an album out called HAND TO THE PLOW. The title song reflects my heart cry...

I felt the pressures of temptation
I've heard the breathing lies of accusations
I know the world can be distracting
If I keep one foot there I'm just acting
Well I can't think of a reason why I should look back
And I don't intend to start now
Gonna keep my face like flint to Jesus and His Word
I'm keeping my HAND TO THE PLOW

One of the most famous times of looking back is found in Genesis 19. This is where God was getting to rain down judgement on Sodom and Gomorrah...because of their exceedingly grave nature of their sin (can America be far behind). God gave specific instructions to Lot and his family. One of the specifics for their escape was, "And it came about when they had brought the OUTSIDE, that one said, Escape for your life! DO NOT LOOK BEHIND YOUR...." (Genesis 19:17) "The Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven.. and He overthrew those cities and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground." (Genesis 19:24-25) Rampant homosexuality...rampant sensuality...rampant disregard for others and massive consumption on self pleasures. Sounds like either Rome in it's heyday...Sodom and Gommorrah before the fire fell...or The United States of America 2006.

Here's the cause and effect of LOOKING BACK..."But his wife, from behind him, LOOKED BACK, and she became a pillar of salt." (Genesis 19:26)

Many of you know...many do not...that in 1970...my life was a mess. I had no direction...life consisted of substance abuse and paranoia. Thank God for Brenda who lead me to Lord. That was in the fall of 1970. Fast forward to 1972. I LOOKED BACK. I returned to my old ways...like a dog returns to his vomit. (Proverbs 26:11; II Peter 2:22) At that time...you could write MORTONS across my forehead. The Morton's Salt slogan fit me to a T...WHEN IT RAINS...IT POURS.

If you are plowing a field...and you keep looking back as you plow...your rows will be crooked...but if you keep your eyes focused on a fixed point in front of you...Keep your hands on the plow...you will accomplish what needs to be accomplish. The fixed point is Jesus. Jesus gave us the example of how to keep focused as we walk in this world.

Hebrews 12:1,2 states," Therefore since we have so great a cloud of witnesses (see Hebrews 11 for the cloud) surrounding us, let us also LAY ASIDE every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with ENDURANCE the race that is set before us, FIXING OUR EYES ON JESUS..the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

If we choose to follow Jesus...we will be plowing and preparing this world for the planting of the kingdom of God. The seed is the Word of God... the soil is the hearts of the world...and fruit is the kingdom of God being manifested in their lives. Romans 14:17 defines the kingdom of God this way..."for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."

When I looked back...righteousness turned into unrighteousness...peace turned into unrest...and joy turned into mourning. The only way back to the straight furrows in my field...was repentance (change of heart, change of mind, change of direction)...confession (homo-legos=saying the same word...coming into agreement with God about the matter)... asking for forgiveness (He is faith and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness)...and allow the cleansing blood of Jesus to wash me white as snow. (See I John 1:5-10)

The good news for us today...is that we have time to turn back to Him... instead of our on dog vomit. Not a bad choice...choosing between regurgitated sin...and the grace and mercy of God. Choose today... choose life or death...blessing or curse...and DON'T LOOK BACK.

Love and Straight Forward Kisses
Rod "Plow Boy" Boyd...or would that be Plowboyd Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home