Thursday, October 18, 2007

THE NAME DROPPER

Hello to everyone who has a NAME. Did I ever tell you that I once met Johnny Rivers (Secret Agent Man), Arte Johnson (of Laugh In fame), Sherry Lewis (along with Lamb Chop), Vincent Price (lecturing on gourmet cooking and art), Ray Peterson (Tell Laura I Love Her)...and oh yes..I met ELVIS PRESLEY at RCA Recording Studio back in 1967. I can tell you are impressed by all of the names that I have just DROPPED on you. My Pastor...Ronnie Meek is quick to tell you if you ask him, "Whatcha know?"...he will respond back, "It's not WHAT you know...It's WHO you know." Of course...he is talking about KNOWING JESUS that will make the difference.

As you look at the first picture...realize that if you know Rodney Boyd...you will be comforted. Not only me...but I am backed up by people who work for me in the comforting business...and I can back that up Biblically. In Psalm 23:4... it is stated...Thy ROD and Thy STAFF, the comfort me. Sorry...I dropped my own name...and it broke.

When Jesus' disciples asked the Master to teach them to pray...he responded with what we have termed...THE LORD'S PRAYER. He shows us how to direct our prayers to the One who can answer our prayers...and the location of the Prayer Answerer. Then He makes the declaration that..."Hallowed, revered, holy BE YOUR NAME.

Now a name...is our point of IDENTIFICATION...that we know who is who and what is what. When you say ELVIS...you are most likely going to think PRESLEY...or even COSTELLO. When you think RODNEY...depending on your experience...you will either think DANGERFIELD...KING...or possibly BOYD. You have an image in your minds...of looks, characteristics, character, memories (good, bad, or ugly). The NAME evokes something in us that either brings us comfort, pleasure, disgust, assurance, etc. Again...a name is the point of IDENTIFICATION...that we base our reactions, responses, our interaction with that NAMED INDIVIDUAL.

JABEZ...is a name that literally means PAIN... because of his mother's identification with the PAIN that she suffered with JABEZ in childbirth. As you read the Prayer of Jabez (that was an actual prayer before it was a best seller written by Bruce Wilkerson)...you see that JABEZ rose above his NAME...and was more favored/blessed than his brothers. (I Chronicles 4: 9,10)

Sometimes we are limited by our vocabulary...which limits our ability to express ourselves. When we take a NAME...and limit it to mean one thing...then we must come up with other names or words for our point of identification or need. GOD cannot be boxed in with ONE NAME.

There are MANY NAMES to describe the ONE GOD. It is not like Greek or Roman Mythology where you have MULTIPLE gods...but there are many facets to God's character...that appear to line up with our many facets of NEEDS.

In the Old Testament...God is referred to as JEHOVAH/YAWHEH. He revealed Himself to Moses as I AM. When Pharaoh asked who sent Moses...Moses was to declare that I AM has sent him. I AM...THAT I AM. There are what is known as the COMPOUND NAMES of God...that reveals the nature and character of God...where we can use as POINTS OF IDENTIFICATION for our needs.

For example...if you needed healing in your life...you would be able to call upon...JEHOVAH-RAPHA (The Lord That Heals). If you needed someone with a ROD and STAFF to COMFORT you...you would call upon JEHOVAH-RAAH (The Lord Is My Shepherd). If you need provision in your life (when the bill collector is breathing down your nose or there is a shift in your job status, etc)...you would need to be down on your needs praying to JEHOVAH-JIREH (The Lord Will Provide).

Remember...we are not praying to POLYTHEISTIC BEINGS...many gods
BUT we are praying to ONE GOD...with many aspects. If you needed healing...you would not pray for JEHOVAH-SIDKENU (the Lord my Righteousness)...because you need a touch from JEHOVAH-RAPHA (the Lord that HEALS).

NOTE: In your time of need...God is not waiting until you get the proper NAME in order...so He will know how to respond to your prayer. If you got down on your knees....and screamed out HEEELLLLLLLLP!!!!...He is a big enough God to know what you need. This Rambling is just to let you know...that God is not limited by one name...that we tag Him with. His nature, character, ability, overflows in to a multiplicity of points of identification for us. He is known as Elohim (the Creator), El Roi (the God who sees), El Shaddai (The All Sufficient One), Jehovah Y' shua (The Lord My Savior), Adonia (The Lord My Master), Jehovah-Nissi (The Lord My Banner, Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies), Jehovah-Shalom (The Lord is Peace), and the bottom line name for me... is JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH (The Lord is THERE). Whatever you need... HE IS THERE.

Of course we know that the exact representation of the Father God and the Fathers will on earth as it is in heaven (check out the gospels and see Jesus as he manifests the will of God)... is His Son Jesus the Christ...the anointed one...anointed with yoke destroying, burden lifting, oppression removing power.
(See Acts 10:38; The 4 Gospels; Hebrews 1:1-4)

Remember...a NAME is merely something that we have attached to something to identify what it is to us. A name can be a PROPER NAME like Rodney...or a name can be a noun used to describe a person, place or THING. Any sickness or disease has a NAME attached to it. That name can bring much fear and consternation in our lives. Names are powerful...BUT...we have a NAME THAT IS ABOVE ALL NAMES....the name of Jesus. (Philippians 2:9-11)

JESUS' name is above the name of cancer. JESUS' name is above poverty. JESUS' name is above corporate logos. JESUS' name is above fear. JESUS' name is above schizophrenia. JESUS' name is above hopelessness about whatever situation you are in at the moment.

Our friend JABEZ...called on THE GOD OF ISRAEL...because he knew that this NAME could provide him the answer to his prayer request. Knowing this...JABEZ...prayed with expectancy:

1. Oh that Thou wouldst BLESS ME INDEED
2. ENLARGE my border/territory/realm of influence
3. That THY HAND would be WITH ME
4. That Thou woulds KEEP ME FROM HARM
5. That it may NOT PAIN ME

The cause and effect of this simple, straightforward prayer:

AND GOD GRANTED HIM WHAT HE REQUESTED.

PAIN knew the source of RELIEF...THE NAME OF GOD.

I encourage you to drop the name of God on the name of your need...and get ready for God to grant you what you request...as His Kingdom comes...His will be done...on EARTH...as it is in HEAVEN. As of last check...there was no sickness, disease, poverty, fear, anxiety, worry and tension in heaven. Lord...my Thy Will Be Done...IN YOUR NAME...AMEN!!!!!

NOTE: As I am going through STUFF...like you are going through STUFF...last night I was overwhelmed by the STUFF in my life. My pastor Ronnie Meek...heard from God...and had those who had STUFF in our lives to come down front...and had people who at that point in time were strong (sometimes I'm strong and I get to pray for those who will have weak moments). It was a great time of release. My brother Hal... came up to me later that night after our class...and encouraged me..to WRITE A RAMBLING TO MYSELF. Hal...this is it brother. Thanks.

Love and Namely Kisses
Rodney "Standing Strong In The Word" Boyd

Labels: , , , ,