Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Resolution Revolution

Greetings friends...let me be the first one to wish you a Happy MOOOOOO YEAR!!! That's right...2008 is gasping it's last breath...as the cry of the newborn 2009 can be heard. At this writing...it is December 30th 2008. What a year it has been. In the words of Dickens...it was the best of times...it was the worst of times. In the words of Eastwood...it was the good...the bad... the ugly.

In the words of the Apostle Paul..."For we know that the Law is spiritual; but I am of FLESH, sold into bondage to sin (see Romans 5:12)...For that which I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not PRACTICING what I would like to do...but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not wish to do. I agree with the Law confessing that it is good. So NOW...no longer am I the one doing it...but SIN which indwells me. For I know that NOTHING good dwells in me...that is...in my flesh; for the WISHING is present in me...but the DOING of the good is not. For the good that I wish...I do not do...but I PRACTICE the very evil that I d not wish. But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish...I am no longer the one doing it...but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me...the on who wishes to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God...in the INNER MAN...but I see a different law in the members of my body...WAGING WAR against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. WRETCHED MAN THAT I AM! WHO WILL SET ME FREE..FROM THE BODY OF THIS DEATH? Thanks be to GOD THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!!! So then...on the one hand I myself with my MIND am serving the law of God...but on the other hand with my FLESH...the law of sin....There is therefore (referring back to what was just written)...NOW...NO CONDEMNATION for those who are IN CHRIST JESUS."
(Romans 7:14-25)


In 1968...the Beatles recorded a song called REVOLUTION. There were 4 versions of the song. (1) A slow acoustic version (2) An electric raucous version (3) An experimental version...Revolution 9 (4) A video promotion that was semi-live with the Beatles singing live over a recorded soundtrack.

The video version was premiered on the David Frost Show in England along with Hey Jude. In America it was replayed on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. I remember calling WGNS and requesting them to play the song every hour. It could well be my favorite Beatles song.

"You say you want a revolution...well you know we all want to change the world." That was the cry of the song...the cry of the culture...the cry of the youth at that time. Some took the cry...and protested anything that could be protested...others....realized there needed to be a change...but that change took place in the INNER MAN/WOMAN...when they accepted Jesus Christ as Lord.

2009 will be the YEAR OF THE RESOLUTION REVOLUTION. There will be a CHANGE from 2008...cause..."we all want to change the world." But to change THE world...there must be CHANGE within.

REVOLUTION: A complete or radical change of any kind.

RESOLUTION: A determining; deciding

Each year many people determine...decide...to have a complete or radical change in there life that will be totally different from the previous year. People resolve to give up smoking, give up being fat, give up various things...that they eventually go back to. The resolution becomes a revolution in the sense of something that goes in a circle like record (vinyl things with a hole in the center that you place a needle on and it plays music)...as they come Full Circle from giving up and then picking up. Other people go the other way and knowing that they will be unable to keep there resolution...decide NOT to make ANY resolutions because they won't keep them anyway.

This year...I am going out on the limb...and make some resolutions. Now...you may be asking yourself...why does old Ramblin' Rod have a picture of the Ropin' Fool...Will Rogers in this Rambling? One reason is to use it as a Tip O Da Hat to my brother Tom Rutherford...who is celebration 28 years of marriage to Stoney. We have a Ropin' Fool connection. The other reason is to focus on the fact that we can't have any RESOLUTION REVOLUTION in the FLESH. The word is clear in John 3:6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh...and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

"For though we walk in the flesh (physical bodies) we do not WAR ACCORDING TO THE FLESH...for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh...but divinely powerful for the DESTRUCTION OF FORTRESSES. We are destroying SPECULATIONS and every LOFTY THING raised up against the knowledge of God...and we are TAKING EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE...to the OBEDIENCE TO CHRIST."
(II Corinthians 10:3-5) I envision the taking thoughts captive using a lasso like the Ropin' Fool.

"Finally...BE STRONG IN THE LORD...and in the STRENGTH OF HIS MIGHT. Put on the full armor of God that you may be able to STAND FIRM AGAINST THE SCHEMES OF THE devil (little d). For our STRUGGLE is NOT against FLESH and BLOOD...but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:10-12) For full details read Ephesians 6:10-18) I know for certain that little d...does not want you to do anything that will draw you closer to God. I know for certain that little d...does not want you reading the Bible...because faith will come...and you will be walking by faith and not by sight...and you will be pleasing to God (Romans 10:17; Hebrews 11:1, 6; Romans 1:17; II Corinthians 5:7)

This year I will be taking it up a notch in teaching of the Word of God.

1. The new series of the Ruminator Sunday School will be HOW TO DEAL WITH TEMPTATION, SIN, AND THE FLESH. We will be looking at how to not be pulled away, miss the mark, and give the devil an opportunity.

2. I will be leading a group on a journey through the ONE YEAR BIBLE for 2009 on Wednesdays at church. People will be able to keep a journal of what God shows them with each weeks readings and then we can share as we gather at the REST STOP (the Wednesday class) and share. I may teach...I may not...as the Lord leads.

3. In March...I will be going down to Guatemala to teach at a Bible school with Baba Coble.

4. As the doors open...

To accomplish these dreams...there are certain private RESOLUTION REVOLUTIONS that I will be stepping out in the Spirit...for my spirit (connection to God), my soul (mind, will, and emotions), and body (flesh blood and bones). Hey...pray for me...and I will pray for you...and see where we are in 12 months (either in heaven...or ready to step into 2010)

FINAL THOUGHTS...FINALLY

Remember to put on your spiritual armour daily...remember to stand firm...remember to pray...and remember...to pray petitions for each other so the mystery of the Gospel can be made known with boldness...remember..."Therefore, take up the full armour of God...that you may be able to RESIST in the evil day...and having done EVERYTHING...to STAND FIRM."
(Ephesians 6:10-20)

Love and Revolutionary Kisses
Rodney "Goin' Round In Circles" Boy
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home