Wednesday, June 17, 2009

DAY OF THE FATHER

Happy Father's Day to all of you men...who have experienced that status of Daddyhood. For those who have not yet entered into that category...lean into some Father that you trust...and learn the art of Fatherhood.

Take time and click your mouse on my collage...and get a good glimpse of Ruminatin' Rod's Roots. It all began...from the earthly, chronological, space-time continuum perspective in around...November 1950. Lonnie Louis Boyd had survived World War II...came home with 4 toes blown off of his left foot...just missed a bullet to his heart (that was stopped by a government issued New Testament). His last stop before seeing combat was in London England where he won a Jitterbug Contest at a local club. He married Elizabeth Webb...and in November 1950...he had a gleam in his eye...and 9 months later...
Rodney Lewis Boyd was born in Murfreesboro Tennessee at Allen Clinic on East Main Street. As my Mom told me...they decided not to have any more children... because when you hit perfection the first time...why try for anymore.

Well...over the years I grew up...in good, bad, ugly times...and over those years my Dad...grew up also. It is really hard at times to realize that you Dad...had a spirit...had a soul (mind, free will, and emotions)...and had a body that grew just like me. Every year that passed in his life...also passed in my life.

I never knew my Dad's dad...aka my Grandfather...or my mother's Father. They both died. I understand that they were hard men...and there was an edge of hardness that was passed down the generational line. My Grandfather on my Dad's side...was a card carrying, hood wearing, horse riding member of the Ku Klux Klan. My Dad was not...but as with many of his generation grew up in what was white in a black and white world...which was colored gray by racism. My Dad was a hard drinker...who would go out to the bars...spend money and borrowed more money (without my moms knowledge)...BUT even with all of this...I craved his love...and when he was at home...and not drinking or at least not drinking to the point of being drunk...it was good. My Dad worked at the VA Hospital (retired from there)...came home...gave his check to Mom and in general day by day...supplied for his family. Thanks to my Dad...I have an eclectic taste for music from Big Band, Elvis Presley, R and B, etc.

On June 10th 1989...I went from not being a Dad...to being a Dad...when Phillip Stephen Boyd entered our lives. By this time...Dad had stopped drinking...and entered into the joy of Grandfatherhood. He loved Phillip...and when Mom died...he stepped up to the plate to spoil Phillip. 20 years have passed by...my Dad has died...Phillip has grown to a young man...and I am now 58 years old.

This thing called Fatherhood...has been...and continues to be a wild ride. Over the years...I have tried to be a good Dad...but know that at times I fell short. Over the years...I have seen Phillip get saved, get baptized, play football, baseball, rugby, get his drivers license, have wrecks (but spared from injury...even being hit and spun around interstate traffic by an 18 Wheeler)...suck the heads off of crawfish with his old dad...and in general grow up and live life. His Mom (Brenda) and me (Rodney)...have tried to instill the principles of God by living them out loud by example...and teaching him. We have seen him manifest these qualities as he goes out on missions and serves others.

The hardest part of this thing called Fatherhood...is letting go...as he steps into his own future. The hardest part of letting go of my Dad was at his death. I had the honor of being with Dad at home (with Hospice)...and watching him struggle to shed this mortal coil. I was able to hold his hand...lean down to his ear and whisper that it was OK to let go...it was time to go met with mom on the other side...and Jesus was waiting. To watch him stop struggling...to sense and see the peace come over him...and to breath his last breath was bittersweet. I cry as I write this...because I still miss him.

The hardest thing about this continued Fatherhood...is letting go of Phillip. As the song by The Lost Dog on their Mutt album... I'm setting your FREE...but I'm not letting you go. In this case...like my Father who was struggling...I am the one who is struggling...and my Heavenly Father is leaning down to my ear and whispering...it's OK to let go...I will never leave or forsake him...you have planted My Word in him and it will bear much fruit.

FINAL THOUGHTS...FINALLY

As I approach this Day of the Father (aka Father's Day)...I appreciate the honor of my Heavenly Father...entrusting me with the care of my son Phillip. Thank God for a wonderful wife and mother...to come along side of me...to raise our son...and to set him free...but tethering Phillip with our prayers.

Love and Fatherly Kisses
Rodney "I like the gifts, food, and honor of being a dad" Boyd
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home