Sunday, September 16, 2007

OH OPERATOR

One ringy dingy....two ringy dingys...Hello...is this the party of to whom I am speaking? So began the comedy sketch with Lily Tomlin. Not since the team of Bell and Watson...has there been such an explosion of vocal communication across the world.

With the advent of the telephone...Christian music has been on the cutting edge with songs like Oh Operator...and Jesus On The Main Line.

Oh, operator...information...give me Jesus on the line
Oh, operator...information...let me speak to a friend of mine
Prayer is the number...faith is the exchange
Heaven is the street and Jesus is His holy name
Oh, operator...information...give me Jesus on the line.


Oh, operator,...information...please help me if you can
Oh, operator...information can you tell me about God's plan
It ain't the money, 'cus I know...I know that there's a cost
But my Jesus paid the price when He died on the cross

Back in my youth...I had a telephone that I would pretend that I was talking to someone. A simple toy...that in the hand of a cute littel boy (and some still thing that I am still...Cute Little Rodney aka CLR)...could open the door of the world of imagination. You could talk to anyone in the world...and have the other party on the line...answer back with anything that you wanted them to say.

Wow! My friend The British Bulldog...has a company he uses called Vonage...where he can call anywhere in the world via his computer program. He can call England (pip pip...cheerio) and talk to his sister or up in the cold and frosty Canada...to talk to his warm and toasty Red...eh.

Little did I know...that in 1968...that I would be making a phone call that would CHANGE MY LIFE. It would be a Sunday afternoon...after practicing with that dynamic rock and roll band THE BLIND DISTORTION...that I would stand outside a local eatery on a pay phone...and dial up Sweet Brenda Sue Williams...and believe me Sweet Sue was my Dumpling...minus the chicken. The only thing that was chicken...was ME...because...I was not only CLR....I was SLR...Shy Little Rodney. She was not home...but was at church for "training union". I called her again...on Wednesday night...and she was...you guessed it at church. My friend Dan...used an expletative deleted....and aske the question..."Who ya trying to date...a missionary." Little did I know...that this powerhouse Baptist girl...would not only change my life by marrying me...but change my life by leading me to the Lord.

Who would have ever guessed...that when someone was taking a picture of me...gabbing on a toy phone...that across the town...there was a little girl...having her picture taken. Not only that...but that this little girl and her family...use to live on the same street that I use to live on with my family. And not only that...but that we would be DESTINED to begin to date...and eventually get married...and STAY MARRIED for 35 plus years.

Take a look at that face. She is saying..."Hello Rodney...I was hoping that you would call. I can't wait wait until we grow up, met and get married. Rodney...you as soooooooooo cute." NOTE: Remember, I did say that you could open the door of imagination and create your own phone conversation.

"Why thank you Brenda baby...you are pretty spiffy yourself." He Brenda...I've got an idea. When we get married...we can have a cute little baby boy...and call him Phillip Stephen Boyd. "

And sure enough....we did...and he too loved to talk on his toy telephone. Little did we know that the advent of the cell phone was upon us...and that the cell phone would have to be surgically removed from his ear...and that He would developed muscular fingers with callouses on his fingertips from texting.

"Hello...Mom and Dad...This is Sugar Bear...I love you...and by the way...can I borrow the keys to the car?"

Well...I thank God...that I was able to establish contact with two of my favorite people in the whole, wide, world. But the only reason that I can enjoy Brenda and Phillip so much...is because of the call that I made to the Father via Jesus...and became a child of God.

The song Jesus on the Main Line...asks the questions..."Why don't you call Him up...call Him up...tell Him what you want...call Him up....call Him up...tell Him what you want...Why don't you call Him up... call Him up...tell Him what you want...JESUS ON THE MAIN LINE NOW. Then it would say...IF you want SALVATION...tell Him what you want... As the song continues...IF you want (fill in the blank) deliverance, Holy Ghost, etc....tell Him what you want.

Phone calls...are representative of PRAYER...as we contact God. NOTE: If you call God from America... it is a LONG DISTANCE call...but if you call from ISRAEL...it is a LOCAL CALL.

"If you abide in me and My words abide in you...ASK whatever you wish and it will be done unto you."
(John 15:7)

"CALL to Me...and I will ANSWER you, and I will TELL you great and mighty things...which you do not know." (Jeremiah 33:3)

" Oh give thanks to the Lord, CALL upon His name; MAKE KNOWN His deeds among the peoples. SING to Him...SING praises to Him...SPEAK of ALL His wonders." (Psalm 105:1,2)

Well...it's time to HANG UP. Be sure to give me a CALL...but more than that...give God a Holy Buzz...He is waiting to here from you.

Love and Ringy Dingy Kisses
Rodney "Why Don't You Call Him Up" Boyd
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home