Thursday, January 29, 2009

SEMPER FI

Greetings my friends. One of me and Brenda's...or is that Brenda's and I... favorite T.V. shows...is NCIS. This show...that was a spinoff from the T.V. show...JAG...comes on the USA network...at 4:00 CST...and is on for three hours. We love this show. It stars Mark Harmon...who is the leader of a group of special agents who investigate crime. Brenda...thinks that I look like Gibbs (the Mark Harmon character)...but she always says it with a smile on her lips.
Anyway...Gibbs is a Marine...who more than once has said SEMPER FI.

My military career is checkered. For one thing...I don't have a military career. In 1967...I tried to join the Air National Guard in an attempt NOT to be drafted into the Vietnam War. They rejected me...because of my two little fingers that were crooked from birth. Their reasoning was...that the tests that I took indicated that I was more qualified for clerical duties...and I would be unable to TYPE...because of my crooked little fingers. My next brush with the service was sweating out the DRAFT LOTTERY...which was cut off...before I got drafted. Years later...I was in between jobs...and I was recruited by Sgt. Dean Porter of the National Guard. I took examinations...was accepted...went down for my physical...passed my physical...and was driven back to National Guard headquarters to sign my papers. Sgt. Porter was salivating as my pen touched the line....and at the last moment...I pulled back my pen and told Sgt. Porter...I don't feel right about this...I CHANGED MY MIND. It would have meant going away...and being away from Brenda for over 6 months. Years later I ran into Sgt. Porter in the locker room of Courtsouth Racquetball Club...and I introduced my self to him and asked if he remembered me. A smile came on his lips...and he said..."Yes...I remember you Mr. Boyd. I still have those papers waiting for you." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah...the one who got away.

Why am I revealing all of this to you. I really can't relate to someone who has honored us with military service....but have ultimate respect...and some regrets for not pursuing a career...but God had other things and plans for me.

Now...on NCIS...the show about Naval Crime Investigation Services...Gibbs... the Marine...says SEMPER FI. Brenda asked me what it meant...and I was not sure...so I Googled...and found out.

Semper Fi...is short for Semper Fidelis...which is Latin for ALWAYS FAITHFUL.
It is also the title of what is known as The Marine Hymn. That got me to thinking about GOD...who IS ALWAYS FAITHFUL...more than a Marine. Even when I am NOT faithful...HE is ALWAYS FAITHFUL.

"The steadfast love (lovingkindnesses) of the Lord never ceases...His mercies (compassions) never comes to an end...they (love and mercies) NEVER comes to an end...they are NEW EVERY MORNING...GREAT IS HIS FAITHFULNESS."
(Lamentations 3:22,23)

This led to other sayings about the Marines that again...got me to thinking about God. They apply to Marines...Ruminators....God...the Kingdom of God...etc.




GUNG-HO: This is a Chinese phrase that means WORKING TOGETHER. This is what they saw the "American Marines" doing...the were always...WORKING TOGETHER. It is a "willingness to tackle any task, or total commitment to the Corps." To me it speaks of the tenacity of the believer...as we work for the kingdom...and God...as..."we know that all thing WORK TOGETHER for them that LOVES the Lord...and are CALLED...according to HIS PURPOSES." (Romans 8:28)

ONCE A MARINE...ALWAYS A MARINE: This was the official motto of the Marine Corps League. It is said to have been uttered during a barroom argument...by Master Sergeant Paul Woyshner...as he shouted out..."Once a Marine...Always a Marine." The mindset of a Marine is ... there are no ex-Marines...or former-Marines. According to my sources...there are (active duty Marines (2) retired Marines (3) reserve Marines (4) Marine veterans. Once they EARN THE TITLE...they remain a Marine for life. Again...we have said this about being a Ruminator...once a Ruminator...always a Ruminator. In regards to...the gifts and calling of God in our lives...Paul points out..."For God's gifts and His call are irrevocable--He NEVER WITHDRAWS them when ONCE THEY ARE GIVEN...and He does NOT CHANGE HIS MIND...about those to whom He GIVES GRACE (free gift)...or to whom HE SENDS HIS CALL." (Romans 11:29)

A FEW GOOD MEN: This phrase was from an advertisement for enlistment on March 20th, 1779 in Boston. The idea was...that "a few good men" would be enough. It reminds me of the Texas Ranger motto..."One riot...one Ranger." Jesus...was looking for "a few good men"...when he called a rag-tag group of fishermen...to become FISHERS OF MEN. That group of a FEW GOOD MEN...grew to millions world wide...who carry on the work of the ARMY OF GOD...as we fight against spiritual wickedness in high places. Randy Stonehill (one of the pioneers of Contemporary Christian Music...aka...CCM...origianally called Jesus Music) had a great song on his LOVE BROKE THROUGH album (vinyl record...that spins around and around and produces sound when you place a needle on the grooves)...called ANGRY YOUNG MEN. God is calling a few good men...and wo-men...that are PASSIONATE ABOUT THEIR FAITH.


This brings us back to SEMPER FIDELIS...ALWAYS FAITHFUL Brenda and I took a trip out west...and one of the spots was OLD FAITHFUL Some of our friends went to use the bathroom...and missed Old Faithful...because while their internal geyser went off...Old Faithful remained faithful...except it was early...so maybe Old Faithful...was not so faithful.

In my research for this Rambling (I know...I actually sometimes do research)...I found what was known as THE MARINE'S PRAYER. According to this author...of a book I can't recall... stated..."Contact with the Diety is serious business (ain't that da truth. It is also an excellent idea for Warriors who are expected to put their lives on the line against assorted foes. For U.S. Marines of any faith who may desire guidance when contacting their Maker...the Marine Corps has a ready aid, THE MARINE'S PRAYER." I found this interesting:

Almighty Father...whose command is over all and whose LOVE NEVER FAILS...make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones, and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family.

Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my Country and the Marine Corps have entrusted me. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.

If I am inclinded to doubt...steady my faith...if I am tempted...make me strong to resist...if I should miss the mark...give me courage to try again.

Guide me with the light of truth...and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer.

FINAL THOUGHTS...FINALLY.

Well...If the Marines...can approach their jobs...with such tenacity...my faith may need a little jump start.

Love and Gung Ho Kisses
Rodney "Semper Fi" Boyd
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home