Thursday, December 21, 2006

IT'S A WONDERFUL ZOE

Seasons Greetings...all of you ZOE LOVERS. It really is a wonderful ZOE.

QUESTION: What does Noel Paul Stookey (and Paul from Peter Paul and Mary)...Wayne Berry (Creative Arts Pastor as S.A.)...and Rodney Boyd (me) have in common?

ANSWER: They all are over 50 years of age. They all play guitar. They all "love rock and roll music". They all love Jesus Christ with a passion. They all love the movie IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

ZOE: Greek for life: English for words like zoo and zoology. It is used in the New Testament of life as a principle, life in the absolute sense, life as God has it, that which the Father has in Himself, and which He gave to the Incarnate Son to have in Himself (John 5:26), and which the Son manifested in the world (I John 1:2). "The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy...I (Jesus) came that they might have ZOE...and might have it (ZOE) ABUNDANTLY." (John 10:10)

BIOS: Greek for life: English for geginning. Use in three respects. (1)of the period or duration of life ie. the time past of our life. (2) MANNER of life in regard to it's moral conduct (3) the means of life, livelihood, maintenance, living.

NOTE: While ZOE is life intensive...BIOS is live extensive. ZOE does not possess. Zoe is the nobler word expressing as it continually does, all the highest and best which the saints possess in God.

Thanx and a Tip O' Da Hat to Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words for the definitions. I only know a little Greek...and his name is Aristotle.

The movie IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE...is one of those slices of Americana life....from Frank Capra. In this season of the hubbub, the hoopla, the hoi-paloy...milling shoppers' shivering spending glow...things somehow become a little more clear. When I coing home from work...I sometimes go the backroads. There is a hill called Windrow Hill that I have to go down to get to my house. As I travel up the hill...the road begins to curve to the right...and suddenly...I am at the crest of the hill... ready for my descent to the waiting arms of my family. What always strikes me...especially during this time of the year...is how CLEAR everything is ...with the cold, crisp, winter air...with the leaves off of the trees...and at night. It strikes me how CLEAR everything is wehn I look out over the city of Mufreesboro. I am at a vantage point where the Johnnie Nash principle comes into play as I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW.

I can see the light stretching out over the city for miles and miles. I realize how the lights represent every aspect of the city and the surrounding area. It represents commerce, activity...and most of all PEOPLE...with lives...with BIOS...and I wonder about their ZOE.

One thing that brings me back to some perspective in my life is the movie IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. To some a smaltzy...false view of life.. but to me I personally like a a little smaltz in my life. Could ya pass the SMALTZ and PEPPA please. The movie first appeared in 1946...and was not a smash...but over the years...it has become a tradition. It stars Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell, Henry Travers, Beulah Bondi, Ward Bond, Frank Faylen, and Gloria Graham (along with many others).

NOTE: This movie is not the ZOE in my life. That would be Jesus...but Hollywood...once again...unwittingly... has become a tool that points me back to my Lord.

The opening sequence alone is worth the price of admission. It starts off with prayers ascending from the lips...and hearts of the people of Bedford Falls for a man in trouble...named George Bailey. The lights of the town are about become personified. Here's how it starts in a book that was adapted formt he movie:


"Like most miracles...it started with a PRAYER. One prayer, then another, and another, and another. The prayers from Bedford Falls that night...went up for a man...George Bailey."

From Gower's Drugstore: "I owe everything to George Bailey. Help him dear Father."

From Martini's bar and restaurant: "Joseph, Jesus and Mary, help my friend Mr. Bailey."

A mother's prayer: "Help my son George tonight..."

And the cop on the beat: "He never things about himself God...that's why he's in trouble."

From Bedford Falls Garage: "George is a good guy...give him a break God.

And from a near by house, George's home, a young wife's voice: "I love him, dear Lord...watch over him tonight."

Then a little girl's voice: "Please God...somethings the matter with Daddy."

NOTE: This is from Ruminatin' Rod...not the book. In the movie...as these prayers are going forth from the mouths of these people...the camera begins to pan upward...as if the prayers are ascending up into the air...and suddenly the stars begin to twinkle as there starts a conversation between some angels...or as the book puts it..."celestial dialougue." Now back to the book.

"Hello Joseph. Trouble? Yes, Franklin. Looks like we'll have to send someone down. A lot of people are ASKING FOR HELP for a man named George Bailey. George Bailey? Yes, tonight's HIS CRUCIAL NIGHT. Your're right. We'll have to send someone down immediately. Whose turn is it."

NOTE: At this point they send for a clockmaker named Clarence who they say has the "IQ of a rabbit...but the faith of a child...simple" Clarence arrives for his orders. Back to the book.

"Your sent for me sir? Yes Clarence, Franklin said. A man down on earth NEEDS our HELP. Splendid! Clarence exclaimed...is he sick. No, worse, Franklin explained. HE'S DISCOURAGED. At exactly 10:45 P.M. that man will be thinking seriously of throwing away God's greatest gift. Oh dear...dear...Clarence cried...HIS LIFE!" (zoe/bios)


NOTE: That sets the tone for the movie. The rest of the movie traces Georges life, his circumstances that seem to not be connected...and then a major event that sends him to the point of HOPELESSNESS. it then picks up with the intervention of Clarence. The bottom line is when George comes to the realization that...thoughout his life...he has touched people...and he is able to see what LIFE would have been like if he had not been born...and how peoples lives would have been altered...for the WORSE...if he was not around.
It is a great movie that helps me to refocus on living my life out for the Lord. Being obedient to Him...and hopefully allowing Him to touch others through me...and as He states in the Gospels...when you do something to the least of these...you do it to Him.

BUT...what God places in my mind about this movie...is not only...realizing that we do count in this life...BUT...what would this world be like...IF JESUS CHRIST DID NOT EXIST. What if the Word...who was in the beginning...who was with God...who WAS GOD...and who BECAME FLESH AND DWELT AMONG US (John 1:1-14/I Cor. 14:1-5). What if in 1970...when I was depressed and overwhelmed with hopeless... with suicidal thoguths...when I was drinking to excess to numb my emotions in the guise of being social (but in reality a social drunk)...taking drugs...sniffing various chemicals...thinking only about myself to the point of being paranoid...WHAT IF...Brenda never was a Christian...because there never was a Christ...so she never would have led me to the Lord...because there was no Lord to be led to...you get the idea.

If there was no Christ...no Brenda...no Rodney...you would be reading somethings else. HOWEVER...there was a Jesus...who was born on what we now call CHRISTMAS day...and He grew up to become the Savior of the world...and in obedience lowered Himself to the point of death on a cross...so that Brenda could lead me to the Lord...and I could accpet what Jesus did with the Death, Burial and Resurrection (nothing more, nothing less)...I I could be changed...from an OLD CREATION to a NEW CREATION IN CHRIST...and I would no longer serve myself...but serve Him...to please Him (II Corinthians 5:7-21...and Hebrews 11:6). I am a better man because of what Jesus did...and this world is better of with the NEW ME verses the OLD ME...and I am better off with the NEW YOU versus the OLD YOU.

It really is a WONDEFUL ZOE...IF....

Merry CHRISTmas and Happy HOLYdays

Rodney "Pass the SMALTZ please" Boyd

THE QUIZ

Tell me the connection betwen Gilligan and Frank Faylen (the taxi driver in the movie).

What movie was Clarence the angel in that was advertised on th movie marquee of the movie theater?

What T.V. show did Bert the Cop star in in the 50's/60's?

What movie did Bert the Cop play a priest?

When Uncle Billy exited off screen...and you heard a crash with Uncle Billy exclaiming I'm Alright...I'm Alright...what really happened?

What ominous object is seen on Mr. Potters desk?

What three things did Mary and George give the Martinez' when they moved into their new home?

What was the angelic rank of Clarence?

What was Mary and George's song?

Which ear did Mr. Gower smack and become George's bad ear?

What Little Rascal...opened up the swimming pool floor with a key?

What is your favorite Christmas Movie or Song?

Write me back...and let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home